Wednesday, October 22, 2008

More Second Life Lessons

I looked to the blog prompt for today, realizing it was the same as the last one, I was puzzled at first, hoping I hadn't answered all of the questions already. Then I saw an element I had not yet spoken of, my personality assesment. As I looked back to a previous blog of mine, I recalled that I have an introverted personality. This means that I typically lay low behind the scenes and wait for the action to start before I jump into a conversation. I found that in second life that this element of personality was doomed to fail. Had I waited around forever, I probably never would have gotten the chance to ask people questions about the island or find out what was going on. I found myself becoming more extroverted, dominating conversations and steering them in the direction I needed them to go to get the answers to my questions. I am not sure if this was in fact the only approach that would have worked, but I found that it did indeed work nicely for me. It will be interesting to see if the extrovered elements will transfer to my real life, but I feel as though they will not. Perhaps as we move into new projects such as the UK study, I will find myself re-entering an extroverted personality for the sake of my studies.

1 comment:

Reecie Foxtrot said...

Hey :) I think that being introverted isnt a bad thing (since i am an introvert as well). More laid back etc, but in an online community you are right, it is pretty hard to get some conversation and questions going if u just sit back. So as far as the UK project i think it might be the same way, and we both will have to step it up and talk to random people about the project lol.

-Reecie :)