Monday, November 24, 2008

An Interview From an Interesting Angle

On one of my recent interviews, I talked to an interesting person who seemed to feel differently about Common's Market than I had expected, and a different view point then even my other interviewees had. This person seemed to think that the location was not a community, and does not enjoy coming there too much at all. I will post the interview as I find the perspective of it intriguing, as it comes from a person disproving what it is I came to research, the element of community at my site. Let me know what you all gather from this:

Gender: Male
Age: 18
Race: White
School Year: Freshman
Hometown: Franklin, Wisconsin
Do you come from a large Family? Family of four, an older sister also goes to UK
Are you a first generation college student? No, both parents and grandparents attended college at UK as week.
What dorm do you live in? Kirwain Tower

How did you come to discover the commons market
? I sighted it while I was moving in on the first day.
What Compelled you to come to the commons market to begin with? Hunger, it was the closest thing to my dorm, so I had to try in eventually.
How often do you come here? Used to go a lot, now very rarely, maybe once every two weeks.
Why the shift in your visiting tendencies? I really don't like the food here that much, the staff seems cold and uninviting to me.
Where do you go instead? I usually go to Ovids or K-lair instead now.
What about these places do you like better? I like the controlled portions they provide, I tend to over eat in the buffet setting. These locations are also cleaner, and smaller.
Why do you like a smaller size better? I feel as though the commons market is too big, these other places set up a more intimate environment to eat in, I just feel more comfortable there.
How long do you stay per visit? Usually about a half hour to fourty-five minutes.
Do you typically sit in the same area? Yes, in the middle section
Do you feel comfortable in this environment? not really, I don't like the food.
Then why come at all? Usually I come while I am in a hurry, its really just a matter of convienience.
Do you usually come alone or in a group? I come with a group, sometimes alone.
Describe the difference in experiences when you are alone versus in a group? When I am with friends, I tend to stay longer since there is conversation. When I am alone, there is no one to talk to, and I only stay long enough to finish my food and then leave.
What is your favorite meal to get? I like the pizza sections garlic bread, also the milk they have here is local and really good. This is one of the things that keeps me coming back.
What is your favorite element of this place? I like the TVs, they provide a level of background entertainment.

What do you see people doing here? Eating and communicating with each other.
What sets this place apart from other areas on campus? The physcial size, this building is a lot bigger than other places to eat, even the student center cafeteria. I prefer a smaller setting.
Do you feel a sense of community here? No, everyone just sticks to their own groups and do not reach out to others.
Do you feel like you are a part of this community? No, everyone seems to keep to themselves, there is not a unified community.
Has an individual ever approached and talked to you? no
Have you ever approached an individual? Yes, I have struck up small talk.
Has this led to any further interaction? No, I have never been in contact with this person again.

No comments: