Sunday, September 14, 2008

Second Life Avatar

I decided to physically warp my avatar into a creation that is somewhat unorthodox. He is grossly out of proportion, with toothpick thin legs and an enormously heavy upper body teaming with body fat. His face is warped, almost beyond recognition, and his head is mostly bald with some messy strips of hair sporadically growing. I wanted to make a unique avatar, as I believe most people who play this game are trying to escape their problems in the real world, and would probably make a physically perfect avatar to control in a new world. However, I want to take my own approach to see how my hideous creature is to be judged in this world where perfect bodies are free to obtain. Already in my limited experience of the game, one of my classmates made the comment that I looked like I came out of a cave. I think I will switch my appearance back and forth between a normal looking guy to my anamorphic blob. This way I can compare how I am judged as an average looking guy, and then judged as a hideous being. I believe this will be an interesting aspect of the game to study.

1 comment:

Reecie Foxtrot said...

i think that one reason why ur avatar is looked at so differently is because you just dont see someone like that everyday, and you will then get more attention as a blob, than as a normal person. i think its all fun tho :P

-Reecie